To be able to receive, send and store your Genesis Coins, you need a wallet. The good news is that as Genesis Coin is an ERC20 Standard compliant token, you can use any Ethereum wallet that supports ERC20 Tokens. These include MyEtherWallet.com, MetaMask, Mist, Jaxx, Parity and many others.
There a number of ways you can obtain an Ethereum wallet that is compatible with Genesis Coin.
In 2018, development of the Genesis Web Wallet will be completed.
- Visit MyEtherWallet to create your Ethereum wallet. Make sure you’re on the Create Wallet tab. Choose a secure password for your wallet and make sure that you write it down as you’ll need it every time you access and use your wallet.
- Next you must download and save your Keystore File as prompted. You MUST do this as without it, you won’t be able to access your account.
- After downloading the Keystore File and clicking on ‘I Understand’, you’ll be shown your Private Key. Once again, make sure you write it down and store it somewhere safe.
- After this, you will be asked to unlock your wallet. It’s up to you how you unlock it but you can either use the Private Key that you just saved or select the Keystore File option and upload the one you downloaded.
- Once unlocked, you’ll be able to use your wallet and view your balances. However you’ll notice that so far, you can’t see your Genesis Coins. To view them, you need to add it as custom token. This notifies MyEtherWallet of Genesis Coins and will then display them.
- To do this, scroll down until on the right hand side you see a box called “Token Balances”.
- Click on Add Custom Token. Paste in the contract address for Genesis which is: 0x9dfe4643C04078a46803edCC30a3291b76d4c20c
- Enter GEN for token symbol and 18 for decimal places.
- Click save and you should be shown a long list of other tokens. Genesis should now be added at the bottom with your balance. If it displays 0 as the balance or doesn’t appear, click the Load Token Balances button and it should now appear, providing you have Genesis Coins that is.
- Metamask is a Google Chrome extension. Go to the Chrome Store here and install MetaMask.
- After installing MetaMask, click on the icon that has now appeared at the top of your browser. After agreeing to the terms, you’ll be prompted to create a password
- Next you’ll be given 12 random words known as a seed. Make sure you save these words.
- You’ll now be taken to your MetaMask wallet. To add Genesis Tokens, click on the Tokens tab.
- Click Add Token and enter in the Genesis Contract address. This is 0x9dfe4643C04078a46803edCC30a3291b76d4c20c
- It should automatically fill in the Token Symbol and Decimal fields. If it doesn’t, symbol is GEN and decimals is 18.
- Click Add and you should see your Genesis Coins in your wallet. You can now send them to any other Ethereum address.
- If you send Genesis Coins to a friend for example, they will need to add the Genesis token as well as shown above.
- Please note that if you haven’t received any Genesis Coins, it will say No tokens found even after adding it.
- To install Mist, go here, scroll down to Downloads and choose the installer for your operating system.
- Once Mist is installed, it will need to sync to the Ethereum blockchain. This may take some time depending on how many blocks you need to download and your internet speed.
- After you’ve downloaded the entire blockchain, go to the Wallet tab and select Add Account and fill in the required fields.
- Head over to the Contracts tab, scroll to the bottom until you see the Watch Tokens section.
- Click on Watch Token.
- Paste the Genesis Contract address in which is 0x9dfe4643C04078a46803edCC30a3291b76d4c20c
- Mist should then automatically fill in all the remaining fields. If it has worked, the preview image at the bottom should display the Genesis symbol, GEN.
- If it does, click OK and you will see your Genesis Coins in your wallet, if you have some. If you receive coins upon adding the token, they will now be displayed.
- If however Mist doesn’t fill in the fields automatically and instead displays NaN in the preview field, click off the tab and try again. If this keeps failing, restart Mist and try again.
There are many other Ethereum wallets that support ERC20 Tokens including Genesis Coin. If you use one of these wallets, you will be able to add Genesis Coin as each wallet follows a similar path adding tokens.